A brand-new online event for youth workers to help you make youth ministry more effective as we continue to face the challenges of Covid-19 and beyond.
You’ve done an incredible job supporting young people over these last months with the pressures of the pandemic and lockdown. Things have been tough, especially when it hasn’t been possible to meet together like normal. Some young people stayed engaged, but others drifted away.
There’s still so much uncertainty, and for some things have never been harder than now. With the new year here, we’re all wondering when and how in-person youth ministry might return. And whenever that is – do we just go back to what we were doing before all this? Is it simple as that? After all, some of the push to connect online has been good. And not everything from before the pandemic was working so well anyway.
There’s an opportunity here to stop and think about what kind of ‘normal’ you want to go back to.
This is that moment. Take the time to listen and learn from some of the most respected speakers in youth ministry and key experts. Find new inspiration and encouragement. Learn about practical new ideas that you can implement in your own context. Meet up with people facing the same challenges and issues as you. Find the space to renew your own faith and explore a bigger vision for what God can do through you in a post-COVID world.
Don't go back. Renew normal.
- Insights from youth ministry in the pandemic
- Reconnecting with young people who’ve drifted away
- What does evangelism look like in this new context?
- Reimagining discipleship for young people in the church
- Coaching and mentoring young people
- A bigger, bolder vision for what's next
In addition to main sessions, on March 25th there will be two session types offered in the afternoon: 'seminars' and ‘Town Hall’ events. Seminars are delivered by one experienced speaker followed by breakout style discussion groups towards the end. The Town Halls are ‘public conversations’, led by a host who will chair a panel discussion between other speakers. Delegates listen in and are encouraged to drop their questions in throughout the session ahead of a Q&A at the end. The seminar and Town Hall topics are:
- Growing up poor: Tackling poverty in youth ministry | The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the reality of poverty in the UK. In this Town Hall, we'll ask what youth workers need to do in response.
- Where did they go? | A year of the pandemic has taken its toll on your youth ministry. In this Town Hall, we'll discuss practical strategies that you can implement in your context.
- Renewing our heart for youth ministry | God is at work now, and has promised the show us a way forward. What are the next steps, and how do we renew our passion to take them?
- Burning down the house: How young people in the Church view the climate crisis | The researchers and authors of the ground-breaking report 'Burning Down the House' share their findings on Christian young people's attitude to climate change.
- A bigger vision for young people | Thinking more ambitiously and imaginatively than ever before about the place of young people in society and the Church
- Mentoring: How to get more impact from spending time with young people | Developing deeper principles and practices that can improve the effectiveness of your work as a mentor
- Creativity in mission: Thinking imaginatively about reaching young people | Exploring principles, practice and creative expressions of mission in youth ministry
- What should we keep doing online now? | In the last year youth ministry has gone 'online'. As we head towards in-person youth ministry, what should we plan to keep?
- Be smart: Innovating in your post-pandemic youth ministry | Exploring a simple step-by-step guide to thinking about innovation in youth ministry that paid workers and volunteers alike can follow
- What exactly do we mean by discipleship? | What does discipleship look like in your context? Exploring together the concept of discipleship and its application in youth ministry
- Lessons from the world of professional coaching | A seminar exploring ideas and approaches from professional coaching and how they can be adopted for youth ministry.
- A strategy to grow | How to put evangelism at the heart of youth ministry
- A bigger vision for youth ministry | Despite the decline in youth ministry, now is not the time to give up! Join us in exploring what youth ministry should look like in the future
- The art of self-management | How to care for yourself when you're caring for young people. Practical exercises on taking care of yourself in youth ministry
- Supporting young people's mental health after COVID-19 | With rates of anxiety and stress at higher than ever levels, discover what youth leaders can do to support young people at a critical time
- Black Lives Matter: What happens now in youth ministry? | What's the responsibility of youth workers towards this movement and how can you play your part in the change needed?
- Welcome home! | How a biblical understanding of home could reshape your youth ministry
- We are Satellites: A new approach to discipleship | The Satellites discipleship model draws together seven biblical themes and looks anew at what helps a young person grow in their faith
- What COVID did to youth ministry: Your chance to talk to the authors of the ground-breaking research and share your views
- Mentoring | A crash course in how to do better 1-2-1's with young people
- Power to the people | Why young people are the best evangelists to their friends and how to get them started
- A bigger vision for the Church | Discovering a different vision for the role of the Church and the part that youth ministry might play in making it possible.
- Small is beautiful | How to make youth groups thrive when you have a handful of young people
- What COVID did to youth ministry | Your chance to talk to the authors of the ground-breaking research and share your views
Standard tickets are £10. That gives you access to the whole event from start to finish. You'll be able to watch the streams of the main sessions, choose and attend seminars, workshops and other breakout events... and interact with other delegates using our new conference platform Hopin.
Premium tickets are £20 and give you unlimited access to downloads of all the event sessions after the event. That means you can rewatch any of the main sessions and catch all the seminars you didn’t get a chance to see during the event. You can also use the videos as part of a training session for your team. With more than 25 seminars and other events outside the main sessions, that means you'll be able to see them all in your own time. You also get a permanent licence to use them for training for your youth work team in the future.
To ensure the opportunity for you to meaningfully interact with speakers and other delegates, we are offering a limited number places on Renew Normal. Book early to be part of this amazing event.
We genuinely want everyone to be able to take part in Renew Normal – we believe it's an important opportunity for everyone who cares about young people to think about the future. We're charging £10 a ticket because it costs a lot to stage an event like this, even one that's online. But we know that won't be possible for everyone. So we're offering tickets for free if that is something you need. No questions asked, no difference in what you'll be able to access, no stigma. If that's you, just click the link below and you'll be taken to the booking page where there's a special option to get the standard ticket for free. That's how much we want you to be part of what we're doing.
Follow the link here.
1. Insights from youth ministry in the pandemic
What’s worked? We’ve talked to churches and youth ministry organisations across the UK to discover what’s working well online and during lockdown, and we’ll be sharing the best ideas and projects that you can use in your own setting.
What's worth keeping? We'll share what approaches and activities from lockdown should become a permanent feature of your youth ministry, even after meeting in-person resumes. You'll hear from leading thinkers and practitioners in youth ministry and get inspiration and advice about how to plan your youth ministry programme going forward.
2. Reconnecting with young people who’ve drifted away
How do you make contact with those who’ve stopped engaging during the pandemic? Early research indicates more than a third of young people have stopped engaging with youth ministry over the course of the last year. What’s going to make them want to come back? We’ll give you practical steps to take and share powerful stories of what is working.
3. Reimagining discipleship for young people in the Church
Pausing normal activities gives us a chance now to think again about what really helps a young person grow in faith. We’ll explore what discipleship should look like for this generation of young people and how we can better address the challenges they face. This could be one of the few positives of closure during the pandemic - the chance to re-evaluate the way we were doing youth work and 'renew normal'.
4. Expert advice on coaching and mentoring young people
Individual one-to-one ministry is at the heart of youth ministry. But do you know how to get the most from those encounters? We’ll share the latest insights and research about coaching and mentoring young people and how you can have the greatest impact. We'll explore how coaching works best online or in-person, what materials you need and the key competencies that make if effective. Don't miss the chance to get expert training on this crucial skill.
5. What does evangelism look like in your context?
How do we connect with young people beyond the church and what kinds of activities and approach is best? We’ll help you explore new models to put mission back at the heart of what you do. You'll learn about what's working across the UK and worldwide, and the kinds of events and activities that are most effective in sharing Christian faith.
6. A bigger, bolder vision
How do we renew youth ministry to be effective in our culture? How can we turn the tide of decline and find the passion and the practical models that are fit for ministry in the 2020s? Renew Normal is a call to action to hear God’s call to what is Spirit is doing, and to leave behind the assumptions, attitudes and ways of working that are stopping us from following Him.
Don’t go back. Renew normal.
We'll be publishing the programme in full at the end of January.
A new way to engage online
Renew Normal is the first Youthscape event to be hosted on Hopin, a new online event platform that's been drawing a lot of attention for its innovative approach and features.
That means we can hold more interactive events and seminars, with lots of opportunity for you to ask questions by video or chat and even contribute yourself. You'll be able to talk to other delegates if you want and set up video or chat sessions with people you know. There's also an exhibition area and space for us to offer prayer and coaching sessions. We're really excited about this new platform and we think it'll offer the most engaging and immersive experience yet for an online event.
Remember, you can catch up and view all the seminars and events you miss if you buy a premium ticket for £20.